Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My First Official Flight

I left my home in Standish and took the three-hour long trip to the Detroit airport with my mom and dad (I slept most of the three-hours). As we pulled into the terminal parking garage, it all of a sudden hit me that I was actually going on my first flight. My parents followed me all the way until I had to go through security and as I looked back they stood and waved goodbye to me. Then I was on my own.

 I successfully found my way to my gate and sat there for three more hours as the plane got ready. I looked out the window and was mesmerized at how gigantic planes really are. As they started calling for my section to come aboard, I got really nervous and all the worst possible things came to my mind. What if I’m boarding the wrong plane? What if I lost my passport? And worst of all thoughts that I could ever think, what if the plane went down? I walked down the tunnel and boarded the plane and I was fascinated with the whole thing. I sat in my seat and prayed that no one would sit by me, since I really hate strangers in my personal space. No one did sit by me thankfully and I buckled up as the flight attendants were doing their demonstration about the rules of the air plane. I put my head phones on and looked out the window as we took off. I was creeped out by the feeling of zero g’s as we left the ground. It was like riding a roller coaster. A smile crept across my face as everything got smaller and smaller.

I started to watch a movie and before I knew it it was 7 PM and they started handing out dinner, which honestly wasn’t all that bad. The only thing I regret was asking for a glass of water, not realizing that the water was carbonated and it tasted terribly. I remember having to go bathroom shortly after and the sky was turning darker as we were entering a different time zone and I was stoked about getting to see that but by the time I got back out from the restroom, I had missed my opportunity and it still upsets me.


I sat back down and watched another movie, but I got bored of movies and I started to get restless. Only three hours had passed and I had five more to go. I laid down in the empty seats next to me and fell asleep. I woke up thinking I’d only have a little way to go, but sadly I had only slept for 30 minutes. On top of that, my arm was all fuzzy from going numb and my legs and neck hurt to move in certain directions. Sore and annoyed, I pulled out the snacks my mom packed and ate a whole container of Pringles, after which I regretted and felt guilty about. The rest of the flight I switched between, reading, napping, and watching bits of movies and repeated the process. Then as I woke up from another short nap, it was light again and the time on the screen in front of me said 6 AM but my phone said 1 AM and as I looked out the window, I saw cars, houses, and greenery instead of the blue ocean. I was at ease as I had realized I had lived through my first flight and was about to land at the London-Heathrow airport to see my sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment