Wednesday, October 21, 2015

White Cliffs of Dover

Dover, England is located at the very bottom of England, facing France. In fact on a clear day, you can see the coast line of France as well. The trip we took to Dover was mostly to see the white cliffs, which are very beautiful. The cliffs are steep, about a 50 to 60 foot drop and my sister wouldn’t allow me to get too close to the edge, knowing how clumsy I am. The fact that I had tripped and cut my knee on one of the trails about 5 minutes before didn’t help prove that I wasn't clumsy and that I'd be fine if I close to the edge




. The grassland of the cliffs is used for a cattle pasture at night for the local cattle farmers. The cattle had made trails that wind all over the landscape. There were even dirt steps that were dug into the hills so it was easier for cows, and people, to climb. I still find it hard to believe that big cows walk up those steps. The cliffs were amazingly white. It looked as if snow was permanently frozen on them. They glittered in the sunlight and hurt your eyes a little bit too. The cliffs are made of a chalk. You could literally pick pieces off the cliffs with your finger nail. The grass was greener than any grass i had ever seen before. It was definitely the most peaceful and beautiful place I’ve ever seen.

           
            Michael and I had gotten curious and saw that there was a trail that was carved out in the side of the cliff leading down to the coast. The trail was tiny, I could barley fit my feet onto it. The railing was sketchy as it wobbled when you would put your hand on it to catch your balance. About 15 minutes later, the three of us made it down to the end of the trail, except the steps that led you down to the coast had rotten away so we just stayed on the trail and admired the view from there. Surly enough, very faintly though, I could see France. I tried to convince Katie and Michael to drive to France in the underwater tunnel that connected England and France, but they shot that idea down really quick. We then took a slow walk back to the starting point, which was about 4 and a half miles away and drove back to Lakenheath. I still have yet to find anything as breath taking as the Dover cliffs were.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard about the Dover cliffs, but they sound beautiful. And the pics are awesome!:)

    ReplyDelete