Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My first big trip out of Lakenheath was to Cambridge. Actually, that day we were supposed to go to London but it was raining and I didn’t want to experience London when it was dreary and wet. Michael, Katie and I packed a lunch of bologna sandwiches and string cheese and took the 45-minute drive to Cambridge. We parked, and walked about a mile to Cambridge University.
It really was an honor to be standing at the gates of such an old school. It was hard to wrap my head around the fact that I could have been standing on the ground that Sir Issac Newton, Steven Hawking, or Charles Darwin walked on when they attended the prestigious school. These were well known people that I’ve read about in my high school science, English and history classes. People who changed the world as we know it. It was definitely surreal to me.
 
After we were done admiring the college, we took a stroll down the street and saw all these stores that were clearly way out of my price range! The first store was Lois Vuitton if that tells you anything. We saw buildings as old as the country itself and that was also so amazing. I find history to be very intruding and I loved being around all these old buildings that literally told a story of an old village. The architecture was so mind blowing as well. Its hard to imagine these mid-evil people build these extravagant towns with just talent and skill and lacked the luxury of modern tools.

We punted in River Cam, which exactly like a gondola in Italy. The market was taking place that day as well. It was just a farmer’s market where people were selling homegrown fruits and veggies, homemade cheeses, and woodcarvings that were a little terrifying. My favorite purchase from the market was a hedgehog scarf that an elderly women sold to me for half off when she learned I was an American. Which was the complete opposite treatment I thought I was going to receive when locals found out we were Americans.


 I totally fell in love with Cambridge and its coffee shops, street performers and history. It really showed me that there was so much more outside of my little home town and how insignificant I was in this big world.

1 comment: